Thursday, July 29, 2010

Parents determining the lives of their children

July 29th, 2010 - page 35

The first chapter introduces Taylor Greer. Growing up in Pittman County, Kentucky, she seems to firmly believe that parents have a major influence of determining the future of their children. Being raised by a single woman, Taylor became independent herself. She attended high school with Newt Hardbine. His father abused him his hole life and eventually Newt killed himself after dropping out of school and impregnating a girl, Jolene. Taylor also went to school with her. Jolene's father called her a "slut" throughout her entire life so Jolene felt it was fitting for her to be pregnant at a young age.
I completely agree with the way taylor thinks. Growing up it seemed I had the perfect family of four. As I grew up and realized the fighting between my parents and the mental illness in my mother, I started to see how not perfect we were. After we lost my mother I started to think what if it was the other way around and I had lost my dad instead. I would probably be raised for the rest of my life by my mother and probably grow up with her same mentality. So now, I realize  that my dad determines they way I am for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment